With Apple’s “Showtime” media presentation yesterday, a new contender in the portable gaming playing field emerged. Apple has announced, and is currently offering, game downloads through the iTunes Music Store for $4.99 US. These games are all playable on your 5G iPod, and are also all controlled with the iPods patented scroll wheel.
The current game list in iTunes consists of a fairly diverse collection of games. From the old school Pac-Man to the casual game superstar, Bejeweled. Here is what you can currently download for your 5G iPod.
- Bejeweled – Match jewels to clear the board
- Tetris – Rotate falling bricks to clear rows
- PAC-MAN – Get the ghosts
- Vortex – Shoot on through to the other side
- Zuma – Slide balls of the same color together
- Texas Hold â€˜Em – Practice your poker face
- Mini Golf – Make a hole in one (or five)
- Mahjong – Arrange tiles just so
- Cubis 2 – Match cubes in colorful arrays
Would you play a game on your iPod? I know that personally I played the built-in solitaire a few times, but found that controlling a game with the scroll wheel was awkward at best. The new batch of games, some co-developed with EA games, all look fantastic though. I think Apple is doing a good thing for the casual games market by making these available, and time will only tell how successful they will be.
$5 for a game to play while listening to your favorite tunes (or podcast!) sounds like a good thing to me.