I debated about posting this information after coming across it on Digg yesterday, but I figured why not. While not PSP Specific, it does touch on our lovely handheld and there is no debating the fact that most dedicated PSP fans are also interested in the PS3.
Jak_The_Man made a post on the official Sony Forums regarding an upcoming issue of PlayStation Magazine that has a plethora of PS3 information. Here is Jak_The_Man’s summary of the article.
* PS3 will have online service that goes beyond xbox live
* PS3 will be a DVR
* It will connect with psp
* There are alot of games being worked on for it right now in the US (alot more then what people know about)
* The final ps3 dev kit is alot faster than they thought (according to the developer)
* The ps3 will have an itunes type service to let you download HI DEF movies, music, etc
* The Ps3 will take the media center functionality the 360 has even further
* PS3 will serve as a location free player for the psp, means you can watch the dvd’s that you have in your psp on your psp(from anywhere in the world), or any other video files you have on your ps3, though this is still only being planned.
* PSP will be able to send its files straight to the psp from anywhere in the world, and it can also control its DVR functionalities
* Firmware updates will add more functionality, much like with the psp
* The Blu Ray Player functionality doesnt cost as much as a stand alone player because the Cell and RSX can take care of alot of the stuff the ps3 will need to do to be able to read the disks
* Fall release date for ps3, no release date for online service, but expected to launch w/ the system
He had originally posted scans of the magazine but took them down for I am assuming bandwidth issues (Being front page on Digg will do that quickly). Luckily I nabbed em before he did so here are the two scans (Click for full size):
This definitely good information to hear. I am not a big fan of the XBox 360 nor XBox in general and I am eagerly anticipating the PS3 launch. This information has simply made me want it now.
On a side note, if you have not yet visited Digg.com I highly recommend doing so. Feel free to add me (Jakanden) to your friends list to check out my Dugg stories, many of which are PSP/PS3 and gaming in general related.