Sony has today released it’s Firmware 2.0 for Japanese PSPs! So there you go, no waiting for a north american release. This update is available from network update in your PSP’s setting menu, but remember: If you update to 2.0 from 1.5 or 1.0, you will not be able to run your homebrew any longer. Update at your own risk!
EDIT: Well it looks like this update is *only* available in Network Update for Japanese users. Apparently you can goto Sony of Japan’s website (not posting the link here, don’t want to accidently aid others in breaking their PSP) and download the upgrade, and it will work on your US PSP. I don’t trust that it won’t screw something up down the road though. Personally I’m waiting for the US 2.0 release befor I’ll update my PSP.
Here is a condensed feature list that I recieved via email, thanks Davey23!
PSP 2.0 changes:
- Internet browser added!! (no flash support)
- The startup of the internet browser can be limited.
- Jump function added
- A-B repeat function added
- 4:3 mode added to Video mode
- Sound mute function added
- MP4 (AVC) H.264 format playback support added
- Can accept music tracks in Atract3 Plus format from Sonicstage under version 3.2
- MP4 (AAC) & Wave (Linear PCM) format playback support added
- Wallpaper function added
- Image receiving function added
- TIFF, GIF, PNG, BMP format supported
- Korean language added
- Character set settings added
- Theme settings added – Use your own backgrounds in the UI
- WPA-PSK (TKIP) wireless security added.
- Keyboard now support web input. (quick select of http:// https:// etc)